Entrepreneurship Cell, IIT Kharagpur has taken many initiatives to foster the spirit of entrepreneurship:
- Innovation Platform: aimed at nurturing innovation at the grassroots level, it is an organised group of selected first year students getting together to discuss each other’s ideas. This discussion is now being done on a wiki page. The discussion helps the students stay motivated to work on their idea as well as helps build their idea into something feasible.
- Start-up Internship: We connect the students with the start-ups through which start-ups get an opportunity to interact with the students and pitch their ideas to the panel of Venture Capitalists and the students get hired for summer internships.
- Fund A KGPain: Through this alumni can scout for start-ups /ideas of IIT Kharagpur. Having gained rich experiences in their journey, they will act as mentors and/or angel investors and thus promote the entrepreneurial endeavours of the young minds. This synergic bonding between the students and the alumni would be helpful in connecting the right investors with the right entrepreneurs and fulfilling the dream of an Enterprising India.
- School of Engineering Entrepreneurship: Its a new addition to the campus. It provides a Masters in Entrepreneurship along with your B.Tech degree. The entrepreneurship course is offered to B.Techstudents as a five year course – 4 yrs for B.Tech and an additional year for the entrepreneurshipcourse. The 5th year will be spent creating and supporting your start-up. The aim of this school is tobring excellence in Entrepreneurship education so that the most brilliant and young entrepreneurs are able to quickly rise-up the ladder of success, hence bringing about an entrepreneurial renaissance in India.
- Deferred Placement Programme: One of the main reasons students hesitate to startup on their own, is because they are lured by the comfort and security that a regular job offers. Hence, in order to provide those souls with a cushion to fall back on, the Deferred Placement Programme (DPP) was introduced by IIT Kharagpur, due to the efforts of E-Cell. Post the introduction of DPP, IIT Kharagpur has become only the second institution in India, after IIM- Ahmedabad, to offer such a Programme, and the first one to do so at the Undergraduate Level.